Have You Been Injured By A Negligent Driver?
It probably does not come as a surprise that most roadway accidents are the result of poor judgment or irresponsible behavior. Driver negligence is too commonly the cause of car crashes, a fact you know all too well if you have been harmed by a careless motorist.
Drivers who choose to engage in distracting and dangerous actions on the road endanger the lives of all other motorists. When the tragic happens and a negligent driver causes a vehicle accident, holding the responsible person accountable can be an important factor in deterring the behavior from happening again.
In addition to any charges that may be filed against an individual by law enforcement authorities, the opportunity to pursue a civil lawsuit could be available to you. Obtaining the services of a personal injury lawyer can be beneficial to you as you pursue compensation for damages sustained as the result of an accident.
Common Causes Of Car Accidents
Operating a motor vehicle comes with risks. We all know that accidents can happen, even when drivers observe all laws and proper habits of the road. Most collisions are highly preventable, and some kind of irresponsible or negligent behavior can usually played a part in an auto accident.
Some common causes of car crashes include:
- Being hit by a drunk driver. Alcohol consumption can diminish any motorist’s awareness and judgment, often adding to response times and leading to reckless behaviors behind the wheel.
- Car accidents featuring cellphone use. Many drivers lack judgment in using cellphones. Motorists can often be seen focused on their phone conversations, weaving in and out of traffic with little regard to the cars around them. Few drivers stop to think about the level of distraction they experience when chatting on a phone.
- Auto crashes involving texting. Texting while driving endangers others because offending motorists continually take their eyes from the road. By dividing their attention between operating a vehicle and texting, drivers diminish their ability to react to traffic hazards.
- Accidents caused by drug use. Whether it’s the use of illegal substances, prescription pills or over the counter medications, drug use is a factor in many auto accidents.
- Car collisions caused by speeding drivers. Drivers take a chance when they exceed speed limits. Motorists may have trouble staying in control of a vehicle or maintaining safe following distances, making it difficult to avoid collisions.
Get Help After A Car Accident
Sometimes it’s not a single negligent or reckless action that leads to a crash but a combination of factors. Regardless, as a victim of an accident caused by another person, you may be eligible to pursue compensation for damages under personal injury law. Filing a civil lawsuit can allow you to recover costs associated with medical bills, vehicle repair and other losses.
An experienced lawyer understands the driving laws in Texas and can help you navigate the process of filing a personal injury claim. From investigating the cause of an auto accident to negotiating with an insurance agency to making arguments in court, an attorney can help obtain fair compensation for what you’ve had to go through.