Being Ready To Start Recovery
Being involved in a car accident can be a traumatic experience. Even minor fender-benders can lead to confusion and make you feel out of sorts. While this is certainly understandable, it’s also important to be as cognizant as possible of what you should do after a car accident in Houston. Following the appropriate steps can help safeguard your personal injury rights.
What You Should Do After A Houston Accident
Many severe accidents require that emergency services arrive on scene. If your injuries from a crash are critical, you may be rushed to a medical facility.
In a relatively minor incident in which emergency service are not necessary, how you respond can have a bearing on your future ability to pursue personal injury compensation from another driver. Following are step-by-step actions you can take after an accident to preserve your legal rights:
- Check your surroundings. While many people want to immediately exit a vehicle, you should only get out of your car after when it’s safe. If at all possible, pull over to the side of the road.
- Exit the vehicle. When it appears safe, get out of your vehicle. Inspect the damage and ask the other driver if he or she is all right.
- Call the police. Although an at-fault driver may ask you not to call the authorities, it’s critical to call 911 and report the incident right away. Formal law enforcement reports and highway investigations can be used as evidence that may help victims obtain a settlement after a car accident in Houston.
- Document what happened. Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver, noting vehicle details like the license plate number. In the event it’s safe to do so, take accident pictures with a cellphone or camera. If other people nearby saw the incident, ask them for their contact information so that they can serve as witnesses should the need arise.
- Call a lawyer. After being given permission to leave by authorities, call an attorney to schedule a consultation. An attorney may provide you with some post-accident advice that can be helpful in building a case, for example, getting checked out by a doctor — even if your injuries may seem minimal.
- Call the insurance company. Some policies automatically make claims void after a certain time period. While it is important to report an accident right away, avoid speaking with representatives from an insurance company without first consulting an attorney.
Get Help To Pursue Compensation
Contacting a lawyer after a car accident in Houston can give you the best chance of obtaining personal injury compensation from another motorist who has negligently caused you harm. An attorney can tell you how to obtain a settlement for a car accident in Houston and help ensure that you do not take actions that inadvertently compromise your legal rights.